The WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Nutrition Program safeguards the health of women, infants and children by providing access to vital nutrition services during critical periods of growth, such as pregnancy, infancy and early childhood. Maternal and Family Health Services provides WIC services to over 53,000 participants each month through its network of 36 WIC Nutrition Centers in 16 Pennsylvania counties.
WIC services include:
- Nutrition education to ensure healthy eating habits.
- Vouchers to help families purchase nutritious foods high in protein and iron.
- Breastfeeding education and support.
- Immunization record checks.
- Iron deficiency screenings.
- Dental health counseling.
- Farmer’s Market vouchers for fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables.
- Individual counseling and referrals for other health and human services.